Tuesday 10 April 2012

My new best friend in the kitchen - Thermomix

So probably 6-8 months ago I went along to a good friend of mines house for a Thermomix demonstration.  I hadn't really ever heard of them before (apart from seeing it briefly on Masterchef a couple of years ago) and was pretty impressed by what I saw.  At the time I couldn't justify the price (as being on one wage makes you do) and tried not to think much more about it.  Until one day when Dan (my hubby) came home from work suddenly very interested in the Thermomix!  A big, burly, 'meat pie for breakfast' type tradie mate of his was apparently raving about the Beetroot Chocolate cake that his Thermomix had made him on that weekend!!  Over a week or so these stories went on and on until Dan suggested we get the lovely Tamara Morris (visit her blog here mymelbournethermomix.blogspot.com) to come and do a demo at our house.  Well needless to say Dan was very impressed and when the perfectly smooth and thick lemon custard came out of the Thermomix after only 8 minutes and next to no preparation, he said (with a mouthful of custard) 'where do we sign?'!!!
And so began my love affair with this amazing machine!  I wont go into full details here but to find out everything you need to know about the Thermomix, visit www.thermomix.com.au.  It has been over a month now and I have whipped up so many amazing products and meals.  And I dare say if I didn't have my two precious little boys to care for, our house may have resembled some kind of gourmet deli/cafe by now rather than the disheveled toy truck/car haven that it has inevitably become!
The best thing about the Thermomix for me is the simple transition I have been able to make to dramatically reducing the amount of hidden nasties (artificial colours, flavours, additives, fillers etc etc) in our foods.  I now make our own butter (takes 4 minutes!), bread (takes 3 minutes to knead!), flour (mills grains in 1 minute), jams, peanut butter, stock concentrate, biscuits, ice cream and sorbet, almond meal, etc etc etc!  Being a nutritionist, Coeliac and general advocate of good fresh food, there wasn't a lot of processed foods in our house anyway, but when you add all these things up we all were still digesting quite a bit of artificial stuff!

So anyway, the point to this is that a lot of the recipes I feature on this site will no doubt be 'Thermomix friendly' but will also most likely be able to be made without one, with just a little more time and effort (and dishes no doubt)!!!

 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Prinjie. Thanks for your comment. Yes I would agree with that. I think if you use it to its potential it can be even greater for home cooks as it makes a lot of recipes and creations possible that wouldn't be without commercial equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading the article above, really explains everything in detail, the article is very interesting and effective. Thank you and good luck for the upcoming articles. Italian ice cream maker

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic blog because I have learned too much from here. Seriously this type of guide is definitely super it definitely helped me.
    Best ice shaver
    Ice shaver
    Electric ice shaver machine
    Best snow cone machine
    Best ice shaver crusher
    Best shaved ice machine

    ReplyDelete